Followers

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Biological Egg Timer is Ticking, Ticking, Ticking - Ship in a Bottle

Sperm-donor

I think it's time to let all of our readers know that my blogs may be taking on a slightly different character in the coming months, as I have decided to have a baby – a decision that undoubtedly will affect every area of my life. I have wanted to have a baby for the past five years, but I knew that my life (and my child's) would be easier if I waited until I finished school and got settled into a career. Of course, I always imagined that I would have my first baby after being married and that having a family would be more of a partnership than a solo venture. But as we all know, life rarely goes as expected.

Amy

So I've decided to pursue my dream despite the fact that there's no sign of marriage in my immediate – or perhaps even distant – future. Naturally, taking care of a baby is a chore on its own, but getting pregnant is my present challenge. In less than two weeks, I will be ovulating, which as everyone should know is primetime for baby making. The problem is that I don't yet have a partner for this process. Now, I'm not looking for a source of child support or a baby-daddy in the sense that he should have any supportive role in the pregnancy or in raising the child, I just need some good, hearty seed.

Now, my first thought was to go to a sperm bank because it doesn't get much more NSA than that, but I had to reject this idea. First, pay for semen? Really?? That notion goes into the same bucket as paying for air or sunshine or, well, sex. Second, as a scientist, I'm trained to cringe at the thought of biological samples going through any freeze-thaw process, and I'm not too keen on the potential for my first baby to have two heads or one too many sex chromosomes. My second thought was to go to a friend. What better place to create life than with someone I know and trust, right? The obvious problem with this idea is that I would ultimately have to defriend my donor – and not just on Facebook – for all of the obvious reasons.

Since I have successfully dated two people through this blog network I am turning to it again for assistance in this effort. The network has agreed to help financially with the baby but I am turning to the readers/commenters for my donator. The nail in the coffin was the latest example of using the internet as an efficient means for a solution – whether it’s paying college tuition or finding the right donor.

So now readers…chime in. Message me and we'll do the pic thing....

No comments: